3/25/18

Today is the day!

Today I will be starting my two page spread. I am nervous to see how it will end up, but I also am excited to be seeing my ideas come to real life.

As I did some research I found out that the reader's eye direction is one of the most important factors to a double page spread.

The first thing a read looks at is the top of the page, so one should not start by placing their headline on the bottom of the right page, because people don't usually look there. One needs to make sure the story flows, and that the reader is not confused about where to read next. It also states everything should flow headline, intro copy, and then main copy. After reading that I had a little image in my head, however I wasn't quite sure on how to make it come alive.

I also had to keep the image and body text arrangement in mind. I had to make sure that I wasn't breaking any text blocks up, and avoid any barriers at all costs. I also need to make sure that the text columns are tidy and even! And I need to remember to always include the images above the text.

Now that I have done some research I think it is time to try it and see how it comes out.



This is the template that I will be choosing, the big image in the preview will actually consist of multiple images. A starting look, a couple of pictures throughout the process, and finally the completed look. The main headline will be 15 steps on how to complete the perfect summer sunset look. And the intro copy will contain something like this:

     The time is passing by quicker and quicker, you are already receiving texts that say, "I am leaving soon, are you ready?". You respond with a "yes", but you and I both know you are nowhere near ready. You are looking into the mirror with a bare face, and on the verge of tears because you can't get your make up to look just right. I have a solution for this issue, if you want the perfect summer look whether you have a smoking hot date, a fun music festival, or even just walking around the city, this sunset inspired look will make you bring it! The best part is that you can achieve this look in only 15 easy steps.


The reason for this opening is that I want this magazine to be relatable to women of all ages. Women who have no idea how to do make up, but still want to do something extra to look beautiful, and women who do know how to do makeup and are yearning for a new look.

As my research continued I found a checklist (my favorite) to make sure I was on track to making my perfect double page spread.

-Do your research: Check! I interviewed Sarah as I took pictures of her and watched her do the look, and I even did the look myself following my own steps to make sure they were easy to comprehend.

-Set your grid: Check, my grid will look like the picture I included earlier.

-Align your type: Future check, although I have not started creating my double page spread, I know the importance of keeping it neat and tidy.

-Choose your font: Check! I decided on making the font the same font that is featured on my cover page. The font of the coverlines, it is pretty however it is not too fancy and is appropriate for long pieces of writing.

-Get their attention: Check! I believe by including numbers, and pictures it will draw the audience's attention.

-Allow there to be white: Check, it is important for the reader not to be overwhelmed with so much writing, it is important to allow there to be white space that does no contain writing.



I still need to work on the digital copy of the double page spread, but that can wait until next week. I am super excited with what the future has in hold for me. But until then... Bye!


XOXO Kat :)



Works Cited:

“46 Creative Magazine Spread Design Layout Ideas For Your Page.” Wedding Photography Design, weddingphotography.com.ph/7238/46-creative-magazine-spread-design-layout-ideas-page/.

“A Designer's Checklist For Designing Awesome Multi-Page Layouts: 15 Must Know Tips – Learn.” Learn, 26 June 2015, www.canva.com/learn/multi-page-layout/

“Double Page Spreads.” Pinterest, www.pinterest.com/mhsanvil/double-page-spreads/?lp=true.

Nikola. “Magazine Spreads – Good and Bad Practices.” Magazine Designing, 4 May 2013, www.magazinedesigning.com/magazine-spreads-good-bad-practices/.

Comments

Popular Posts