3/08/18

50 fonts of Glister.

As a new day comes so do 4 new steps on how to create my magazine. I ended off on Step 4 meaning that today I was left to start off with Step 5. I ended up deciding that I was not going to be able to do another 4 steps today, step 5 was more than enough for the day. Let me tell you guys my "delighted" adventure on doing Step 5.

Step 5: Design your Masthead.
I'm not going to lie to you, when I read this step I did not expect it to take me as long as it actually took me, nor did I ever think that SO many fonts existed. I looked up different types of fonts. I then found myself researching what every font meant. For example, there are multiple categories fonts go under: Serif Type Fonts, Sans Serif Type Fonts, Script Type Fonts, and even Decorative Fonts. There are even subcategories within these categories old style, transitional, neoclassical, slab, clarendon, glyphic, and the list goes on forever! How am I going to find the perfect font if there are so many to choose from? Thankfully I at least had an idea of what I wanted, I wanted girly type of font. No boring, classic fonts, I wanted something that would pop, and was visually appealing, and could easily grab my audiences attention. With a little bit more research I decided that the category of fonts I was going to use was Decorative Fonts, the rest were a bit too boring for me.

DaFont.com and 1001Fonts.com were my two go-to websites to see the various types of fonts. I looked at both thick fonts and thin fonts, large fonts and and small fonts, and even cursive and straight fonts. I just couldn't choose there were too many. I decided to look up how to find the perfect font. I found out there are 5 steps to finding out the perfect font.

Step 1: Dress for the Occasion
After reading it I realized that each font needs to go with the "personality" of whatever it is your doing. Someone isn't going to use Times New Roman for a 6-year old's birthday party. My magazine's personality was going to be girly, pretty, glamorous, and I needed a font that represented all of those things.

Step 2: Know Your Families: Grouping Fonts
Oh wow after I read that portion I felt dumb. The categories I thought were the categories were actually just subcategories. When it comes to fonts there are 6 main categories that spell out the acronym "GHOTMS": Geometric, Humanist, Old Style, Transitional, Modern, and Slab Serif. I decided my "family" was going to be Humanist, this group comes from hand writings, which I believe would be the best fit for my magazine.

Step 3: Don't Be a Wimp: The Principle of Decisive Contrast
This basically talked about how if I want to be successful, I can't be basic. I need to stand out and be unique. I never thought fonts would actually matter so much.

Step 4: A Little Can Go a Long Way:
After reading this, I realized that I had never thought about this before. The author of this article used a clothing analogy she stated someone wearing a nice outfit like jeans, a shirt, and pink shoes will look pretty and the pink will pop out. However, someone wearing pink jeans, a pink shirt, and pink shoes will just look extremely weird and tacky. The same goes for a font. If the font chosen is going to be extravagant make sure to use a less flashy font for my other things.

Step 5: Rule Number 5 is That There Are No Rules
The title basically says it all, everything stated were just suggestions, there are no rules we need to follow just recommendations. I think I was ready to choose.

I narrowed my choices down to 5 main fonts.




I decided to choose the last one with the name of Moon Flower I liked how it was in a way opposite of the meaning of the word and very simple, yet it described it perfectly.

I hope you all like my chosen font as much as I do. Thank you guys!
Katerina


Works Cited:

“40 Examples of Beautiful Typography in Magazine Ads.” Newstyle Media, www.newstylemedia.com.au/40-examples-of-beautiful-typography-in-magazine-ads/.

“Girly Fonts.” 116 Free Girly Fonts · 1001 Fonts, www.1001fonts.com/girly-fonts.html.

“How to Make a Magazine in 12 Steps.” Lucidpress Blog, www.lucidpress.com/blog/how-to-make-a-magazine-in-twelve-steps.

Script > Handwritten Fonts, www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=603&fpp=100.

“Type Classifications.” Fonts.com, www.fonts.com/content/learning/fontology/level-1/type-anatomy/type-classifications.

“What Font Should I Use? 5 Principles for Choosing and Using Typefaces.” Smashing Magazine, 14 Dec. 2010, www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/12/what-font-should-i-use-five-principles-for-choosing-and-using-typefaces/.

Comments

Popular Posts