3/06/18

Time to get started!


     I was sitting in front of my computer screen for about half an hour not having a single clue on how I was going to start my project. I needed ideas, I needed motivation, and most of all I need inspiration. I decided to start off by looking up how in the world to create a magazine in the first place. Thankfully it wasn't too long until I found a website called Lucidpress that would help me learn how to create a perfect magazine in the matter of 12 steps. I decided I was going to work on four steps a day, three times this week.

Step One: Pick a topic.
Check, this is actually probably one of the hardest steps. Although I have my topic it wasn't easy to decide. When choosing a topic one needs to pick their main interest, something they are passionate about, but also a topic that is successful and not too expensive. Thankfully my topic of Beauty fit all of the requirements.

Step Two: Choose a Title.
Now this is where it got tricky. I had so many ideas but none of them fit, or they did fit but they already existed. I needed to make sure that my name had something punny or good word play. My first choice was Pretty and Pink, but then I soon realized it that phrase was too similar to Pretty in Pink which is a movie,  blog, and even a song so that was a no go. Then I thought of Peachy, Pinky, and Pretty. I liked it, but I didn't love it so I decided to change it. This process went on for a good hour and a half, until I thought of the phrase Wake Up & Make Up. I loved it, it fit perfectly and once again I faced disappointment because this name was already taken. I felt as if I was stuck in a hole and I couldn't get out. I decided to do research on how to find a perfect name for your business. I found out that the name you decide of, needed not only to appeal to you but your audience as well. I actually needed to do the opposite of what I wanted to do and stay away from puns, and I should stay away from a long name. So what's a a title that pertains to all of these requirements? Glitz? Taken. Glam? Taken. Slay? Taken. Muze? Taken. Why was everything taken? Finally I got it, Glister. According to Google Dictionary, glister was a noun that meant a sparkle. It was perfect, it wasn't taken, it was unique, and it pertained to both my topic and was a girly word that related to makeup. 

Step Three: Choose your Cover Article.
So now I know my topic, my title, and now I need my cover article. I knew I wanted it to be steps to a perfect look, but which perfect look? I had to base it off of what my friend Sarah knew what to do, and what she had done before. I made sure to make it clear to her what exactly I was going to be doing. I told her I was going to be taking pictures of her for both my cover pageI scrolled through both her Instagram page, and her YouTube channel to see which look was my personal favorite. I decided to choose a summer look that included sunset colors. It was extremely beautiful and I felt as if it was a perfect match.






Step Four: Find your cover image.
Finding my cover image was not going to be too hard. For our Foundation Portfolio every thing had to be ours. I could not get a picture from online. So my plan was to go to my friend  Sarah's house, tell her to do her favorite look, and I was going to take a picture of her. Certain elements had to be included so it could be a perfect cover image. Sarah needed to be looking directly at the camera in order to call the audiences attention. The picture needed to make sure her eyes popped because that is the main thing in my magazine. It needed to be bright and colorful, and last but not least shiny to match my title. The complicated part was finding a time where both Sarah and I were available so we could meet up and I could take pictures of her. 

I'm so excited to show you guys my cover image! I hope you all love it, but until then you guys need to be patient. Thank you all for reading I will be back soon.  Bye! :)

Katerina.



Works Cited:

Google Search, Google, www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=615&q=Dictionary#dobs=glister.

“How to Make a Magazine in 12 Steps.” Lucidpress Blog, www.lucidpress.com/blog/how-to-make-a-magazine-in-twelve-steps.

“Sarah e. Leavitt (@Sel.mua) • Instagram Photos and Videos.” Instagram, www.instagram.com/sel.mua/?hl=en.

“Sarah Leavitt.” YouTube, YouTube, www.youtube.com/channel/UCiaoaB-BJN7D7jH9wvDqZAg/videos.

The Staff of Entrepreneur Media, Inc. “How to Name a Business.” Entrepreneur, 16 Dec. 2010, www.entrepreneur.com/article/21774.

Comments

Popular Posts